Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Malala Yousafzai Inspires



I am a teacher at Natomas Middle School, an "inner-city" school in Sacramento, where I teach Literacy in mixed-grade classes to students who score below basic and far below basic on the state's standardized test, the CST.  Today we were reading a story about the women's suffrage movement in the U.S.; I explained that women in many places in the world at this very moment don't have what we consider to be basic rights, especially in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan.  Surprisingly, or maybe it's not so surprising, my students had not heard about Malala Yousafzai.  Each Literacy class is a block of three periods; during lunch I asked a buddy who teaches social studies to help find resources about Malala.  He already had this link saved. As I did with my classes, I encourage you to take three minutes now to watch it, be inspired, and count your blessings!
Interviews with Malala from 2009 and 2011 here.   Other links are here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment